Tuesday 25 February 2014

A new mug rug!

I hate to waste bits of embroidery and fabric that I have used as 'samples', although I do have to sometimes admit that there is nothing else for it but to throw them away! You may remember my recent post about the differences between blanket stitch and buttonhole stitch and, recall the three little appliquéd hearts that I stitched round to demonstrate the two stitches.  Well, I really didn't want to throw those little hearts away.  So, I added a little more embroidery and used them as the central panel in a new mug rug.


The zig-zag-type stitch that you can see running between the hearts is called 'Glove stitch'.  I love using this stitch.  It was originally used to finish off the cuff edge of ladies gloves.  That was in the days when ladies wore gloves almost all the time!


Mug rugs are such fun to make.  So, quick and easy.  With this one, I just added a few scraps of my favourite Tilda fabrics to the central panel, quilted it and added some binding and there you are!  I really enjoyed putting this little mug rug together and, it was nice to make such good use of the hearts.